Are you thinking of buying a used car in Spain? If so, it is important that you check a vehicles registration in Spain before making your purchase. In this way, you can avoid possible legal or technical problems with the car.
In Spain, the exact status of each vehicle can be checked through the Jefatura de Tráfico and Spainwide offers this search service to anyone who wants to check a vehicles registration in Spain before buying. All you need is the vehicle registration number.
Vehicle Registration Report (Spain)
Spainwide’s vehicle history report provides you with a report in English covering the following important aspects of the vehicle’s history:
- Date of original registration
- Current owner(s) of the vehicle
- Date of the next mandatory inspection
- Existence of any hire-purchase contract attached to the vehicle
- Existence of any outstanding court order on the vehicle
- Any outstanding fines or penalties
Register your Foreign Vehicle in Spain
In addition, if you want to register your foreign vehicle in Spain, you will need to take the following steps:
- Take the vehicle to an ITV station with the documentation from the country of origin. The ITV station will physically check the vehicle and the documentation, and if everything is correct, it will generate the corresponding vehicle data sheet in Spanish format.
- Pay the taxes related to the registration of the vehicle and obtain the corresponding payment receipts: Road Tax with the town hall where you live and Registration Tax with the Tax Agency (AEAT), except in the case of trailers.
- Request the documentation obtained in the previous steps from the Dirección General de Tráfico (DGT), to check a vehicles registration in Spain, together with the registration application and your identity and residence documents. After reviewing all this documentation, the DGT will register the vehicle and give you the vehicle registration certificate.
DGT Temporary Registration of Your Vehicle
If for some reason you do not have time to complete the registration of your vehicle within one month, you can apply to the DGT for temporary registration of your vehicle. With this procedure you will receive temporary green plates with which you will be able to drive your vehicle for 2 months (extendable) while you complete the definitive registration process.
Summary Of Check a Vehicles Registration (Spain)
To check a vehicles registration in Spain, you can:
- Go to an ITV (Technical Vehicle Inspection) station with the vehicle and documentation from the country of origin. The ITV station will physically check both the vehicle and the documentation, and if everything is correct, it will generate the corresponding vehicle data sheet in Spanish format.
- Use VehicleCheck.es to obtain an official vehicle report and an English translation in a matter of minutes.
- Book a roadworthiness inspection which will be carried out by the ITV. During the inspection, you will need the vehicle registration documents, a CoC (Certificate of Conformity) and the purchase invoice.
- Use the background report “Report of Charges” to obtain the date of first registration, the name and address of the registered keeper, the vehicle details, the number of previous transfers of ownership including the date of the last change, the date of the last and next inspection and any outstanding debts.