Register Your Car In Spain

Articles - Register Your Car In Spain

Important information relating to the prcess of registering your car in Spain.

Driving a UK Registered Car in Spain

Driving a UK Registered Car in Spain

Table of Contents

Although there are other things to consider before driving a UK registered car in Spain, this is just some of them. Driving across Spain is one of the best ways to get around the country but you have to know what are their rules and regulations for your car and driving licence as well as your safety.

Firstly, you must always carry a valid United Kingdom driving license with you at all times when driving any vehicle while in Spain. If your licence is paper or from Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or Isle of Man you don’t need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in EU countries Switzerland Iceland and Liechtenstein but if it’s another country then yes; And also if you want to drive in Norway or any other European Union countries that are not mentioned above then yes as well because those places require it. At the Post Office counter you can buy an IDP over for £5.50.

Secondly before taking off on your journey make sure that the car has insurance cover which is up-to-date tax paid on time and current MOT certificate displayed where applicable . For one to be allowed operate motor vehicle legally within European Union including Ireland Andorra Bosnia & Herzegovina Iceland Liechtenstein Norway Serbia Switzerland among others one must have third party liability insurance meeting minimum requirements set by each state . When you’re behind the wheel of a vehicle in these countries no green card needs be carried but do check with your insurer if theft cover or damage caused during transit covers provided under policy; There may also exist certain non EU nations which would require possession of such document while using roads within their territories.

When driving a UK registered car in Spain, ensure that both V5C log book for the vehicle and insurance certificate are brought along. If you have rented or leased a car within UK which is intended travel overseas then it will be necessary obtain VE103 certificate this enables one drive outside Britain with rental/leased vehicles; In case number plate does not bear any UK identifier resembling Union flag must be fixed at rear part of vehicle; Caravans may need to be registered while towing them you should add category BE onto your driving license if applicable.

Summary: Driving a UK Registered Car in Spain

Driving a UK registered car in Spain is possible but there are rules to follow.

For those persons visiting Spain, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license. It is okay if the driver’s license is issued from the UK, European Union (EU), or any other country within the European Economic Area (EEA). But for non-European expats in order to get Spanish driving permit they will have to take a complete Spanish driving examination.

If you intend on renting a car in Spain, make sure that you are at least 21 years old and that you have had your driver’s license for at least one year or two years depending on the company.

If you have a British driving licence then you do not require an International Driving Permit (IDP) for use in Spain although some countries may still need them especially if one has paper licenses or licenses from Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man etc.

Ensure that whenever driving in Spain, always carry with you your UK driving licence; vehicle log book also known as V5C; insurance certificate – should be carried when taking motor vehicles outside their country of registration or hire/lease period while abroad (VE103).

When driving UK registered cars in Spain they should display both number plates which include UK identifier plus Union Flag however displaying another flag/symbol other than what was originally issued requires sticking it clearly on rear part but if there is no such provision made then apply sticker wherever necessary. While in Cyprus Malta etc., all number plates must show these letters so its better just putting up stickers everywhere since nobody knows where one may end up eventually anyway!

Remember to follow overseas rules like speed limits and drink drive laws too but also don’t forget about extra equipment eg headlight converter stickers emission stickers trailer registration depending with nation visited; failure could lead into serious legal tussles later on when hiring cars make certain everything required is available otherwise blame yourself alone.

It gives third party cover minimums underwritten by UK insurance policies to drive vehicles around Spain. In the event that you wish to tow a trailer weighing more than 750 kilograms while abroad, ensure your driving category is updated to reflect this on your licence (BE). However if it’s already indicated then no need of doing so and also in most EU/EEA countries it’s necessary to register any trailers being pulled by cars from these territories before they get there.

Traveling around Spain using a UK registered car can be fun and without any troubles. However, one must be well prepared and knowledgeable before setting out on such a journey. Ensure that you have your driving license along with all necessary documents and tools for your vehicle. Acquaint yourself with Spanish driving laws as well as those of other countries that you may pass through. But most importantly ensure road safety for all users and enjoy yourselves!

At, we are staffed by experts in the field of automotive consulting. The system we employ is completely legal, designed to ensure successful registration of imported vehicles into the Spanish system. We aim to offer high-quality services while establishing lasting partnerships with our customers; whether their cars come from within the European Union or outside it.

Share this page: